Friday, August 27, 2010

The Deer Slayers

Every year during the fall
my uncles planned a hunting trip
into the Florida Everglades.
These safaris into the great swampland
were simply described as “going into the woods”
for turkey, boar, deer, or bear.

My cousin and I were not skilled hunters;
our game was limited to dove, quail, and rabbit.
However, we both shared a passion
for the great outdoors
and were thrilled on being included
in these hunting expeditions into the Everglades.

The killing of a deer for my farm-raised cousin
was treated as a rite of passage to the big game hunters. 
For me, trekking through the wilderness of the Everglades on horseback was like a passage to freedom from the boredom of school; it satisfied me to no end, trophy or not! 

I absorbed every sight, sound, and smell
on our journeys deep into the glades:
the swamp buggies, the horses, the airboats,
the colors and textures of the land,
the grasses bending in the wind,
the sights and sounds of the critters of the swamp,
the clouds moving in the bluest of skies,
the coolness of the night among the stars,
the tales and small talk around
the warmth, glow, and smell of the campfire,
the swamp cabbage and venison for dinner, and
the smell of bacon and eggs for breakfast
as dawn began lifting the darkness away from the earth.
This was the kind of learning that I passionately embraced.

On the first morning, my cousin and I
headed out on horseback for his coveted trophy. I was already in possession of mine! 
We were teeming with excitement
as we traveled deeper into the swamp.
The ground was covered in shallow
tea-colored water so there was
no trail or trace to lead us back to camp.
We were literally surrounded by
a myriad of cypress trees in a shallow brown sea.

Our hunting skills were so sharply honed
that it never occurred to either one of us
that the sounds of the horses
neighing and sloshing through the water,
not to mention our jibber jabber,
only caused any potential nearby deer to hightail it!

After literally horsing around for two hours
in a watery wilderness,
we found ourselves in the middle
of a very large strand of cypress.
The only wildlife we had spotted
were some curlews flying overhead.
It finally dawned on us;
we were lost.

As the sun was peaking westward
my cousin suggested that
we better head back to camp.
I questioned as to where "back" might be?
With a confident tone of a great outdoorsman,
he informed me that 
the horses “knew” the way back.
If we would just drop the reins
and give the horses a nudge,
they would take us right back to camp!

Skeptical with nothing to lose,
I let go of my reigns
and prodded my horse.
Within two hours or so,
our horses took us to our campsite
nestled in an elevated hammock of pines and palms, an island oasis, surrounded by shallow tea-colored water and thick cypress. 

During our three days and three nights of horse-sloshing in the great swamp, my cousin and I never did earn the bragging right as certified deer slayers during that hunting expedition. The truth is; we were just two young bucks still finding our way.